Ah, Pisa, the land with the famous leaning tower. However, that is not the only thing you will find there! Pisa is a mecca for ancient architecture and breath-taking scenery. Don’t risk getting tired from walking and missing the sites by taking a leisurely ride through Pisa on a Segway! Like I said, there is so much more to see outside the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Here are five other things you will discover on your Segway tour of Pisa!
1. Pisa Cathedral (Duomo): Gaze upon the intricate Romanesque architecture that makes up this beautiful, medieval cathedral. Dedicated to Saint Maria Assunta, the Pisa Cathedral has been a wonderful component to Pisa since 1093.
2. Across the Arno: Ride across the Arno River on your Segway and enjoy the scenery of old buildings in contrast to the vast backdrop of the Tuscan hills.
3. The Baptistry: Visit the largest Baptistry in Italy. Located near the Cathedral, the Baptistry exemplifies the architectural transition from Romanesque to Gothic style.
4. Piazza dei Miracoli (Square of Miracles): This wide walled area contains the Duomo, The Leaning Tower and the Baptistry. It is recognised as one of the main centres for medieval art in the world and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
5. Santa Maria della Spina: Originally known as “Santa Maria de Pontenovo”, this church was renamed in 1333, after a thorn of Christ’s crown was placed inside. The word ‘Spina’, meaning thorn, brings significance to its name. This church is just another example of the beautiful Italian Gothic art you will see on your tour.
A walking tour of Pisa is fun, but a Segway tour of Pisa is even better! You will get to see all of the sites mentioned, and even more!