Here are ten quick facts about New Zealand:
1. Voted the ‘ best travel destination‘ by Lonely Planet two years in a row!
2. Invented bungee jumping.
3. Car-crazy – Only about 2% of New Zealanders make their journeys by bus and less than 1% by rail.
4. Around a sixth of cars are more than 16 years old.
5. New Zealand is the first country in the world to see each new day.
6. Had no predatory animals prior to European arrival, making it a paradise for birds – many of them flightless.
7. The first country to give women the right to vote.
8. Home to the largest flightless parrot (kakapo), oldest reptile (tuatara), biggest earthworms, smallest bats, heaviest insect (a weta), some of the oldest trees and many rarest species birds, insects, and plants, in the world.
9. There are nine sheep to every human in New Zealand.
10. Shark and Tatties (pronounced “shark and tay-tees”) is the New Zealand slang term for fish and chips.
That’s our list. Now your turn to share us facts you know about New Zealand in the comment section below!