The Burj Dubai tower, the tallest building in the world, opened today in Dubai. Here you can find interesting Burj Dubai facts and figures in one place.
- Burj Dubai has actually changed name to Burj Khalifa on its opening day on Jan 4th, 2009;
- The Burj Dubai is 828 meters or 2,717 ft tall, making it the tallest building in the world;
- It is more than twice as high as the Paris Eiffel Tower;
- The Burj Dubai has 164 stories, the largest number of stories in the world;
- It also has the fastest elevators in the world at 60 km/h (40 mph), taking less than 60 seconds to 124th floor and 2 minutes to the top. There are 57 elevators.
- The Burj Dubai opening ceremony boasted the highest fireworks in the world;
- It cost about 1B EUR (1.5B US$, Dh 5.5B);
- Visitor tickest to the Burj Dubai are priced at Dh100 to go up to 124th floor (Dh75 kids, Dh210 VIP pass);
- The Burj Dubai has 500k square meters of living space sold at 30,000 EUR (40,000$) per square meter ($4,000 per sq ft);
- Despite the price, the Burj Dubai is mostly presold with only 26% vacant on its opening day;
- The Burj Dubai boasts the world’s highest swimming pool on level 76 and the world’s highest mosque on level 158;
- It only took 5 years of construction;
- It was build by Samsung Engineering Construction of Korea;
- The first Armani hotel will open in march 2009 on levels 38 and 39.
For more fun stuff:
- There are plenty of Burj Dubai pictures on Flickr;
- There are also plenty of Burj Dubai videos on Youtube;
- And of course, you can find Burj Dubai news on Twitter.
If you make it to Dubai, don’t forget to check out the best things to do in Dubai, for example:
- Desert Safari Dubai
- Romantic Dhow Dinner Cruise, Dubai
- Modern Dubai tour with Afternoon Tea at Burj al Arab